* Make sure outdoor pets have well shaded areas with plenty of clean, fresh water. Dogs appreciate fans if practical. Older or disabled dogs and cats may need to spend most of the summer indoors.
* Prevent exposure to toxic yard plants such as sago palm, rhododendron and azalea.
* Make sure dogs and cats receive monthly heartworm preventive (needed all year in Florida).
* Do not leave pets in parked cars and don't let your dog ride in the bed of your truck.
* Prevent swimming or drinking access to standing water.