|Posted by [email protected] on November 16, 2011 at 7:50 AM|
How many ways can a curious cat or a rambunctious pup get into trouble during the holidays?
Share these simple rules with your family to avoid an emergency trip to the veterinary clinic this holiday season.
People Food. Don't share human food with your pet. Pets often get gastrointestinal upset when their diet changes. Little snacks of turkey, cranberry sauce and baked goods have a bigger effect on pets than on humans. During the holidays, try to keep your pet's diet the same as the rest of the year.
Plants. -Poinsettias, holly, amaryllis, mistletoe, and pine needles are toxic to pets.
-Christmas Trees are a big source of injury and illness for pets.
*Don't let pets drink from the tree water bowl. Use low-toxicity preservatives in the tree water or make your own using citric acid and sugar.
*Tinsel causes intestinal blockages in pets. Cats and dogs eat it readily so keep it out of reach or don't use it all.
Cold and flu medications. If you get the sniffles this holiday season, make sure you don't leave your medications on the counter. Cats and dogs are often attracted to the bottles and can become very sick from human medications.
Batteries cause ulcerations on mouths and tongues and serious gastrointestinal damage. Keep these snack sized objects out of the reach of pets.
Antifreeze. It's easy to lose track of your pet when family and friends are over. Make sure your pet does not have access to toxins, such as antifreeze, when your attention is on the holidays. Less toxic anti-freeze, made with propylene glycol or methyl alcohol, are available. These may still cause gastrointestinal upset, however, so clean up all spills immediately.
Dress up. Young children often tie ribbons, bows and strings around pets. These can present strangling hazards if the pet gets hung up on furniture or a fence and when ingested often cause intestinal blockages. Commercially made holiday collars are a safer alternative.